Monday, July 28, 2008

Honeymoon Headache

The Knot guide says to start planning the honeymoon, seems a little early to me, but hey, I like deadlines. The original plan was a picture perfect week/week and a half long getaway to California. We would start in San Fran and then drive to LA, stopping in Half Moon Bay, Big Sur, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara and Santa Monica. Sounds perfect, no? Well, after I estimated plane tickets, car rental, GAS (umm hello), food, hotels (we never stay anywhere fancy so of course hotels were a big chunk of change and California is not cheap) etc., etc., the grand total was somewhere around $7,000-8,000.

I think not.

Granted, we could stay in cheaper hotels, we could eat at cheaper restaurants, we could rent an economy car, but that just wouldn't feel special. If we are going to do it I want to do it big, I never do it big, this is my chance.

So for now, though I still hold onto my dream California honeymoon, we are considering other options. Caribbean? Virgin Islands? Mexico? We will be going in June and temps for the Caribbean reach over 90, ick, I am not a hot weather person, I am not a sit on the beach all day person (I burn easily and get bored, no offense to any beach people, I wish I could be one). I want to relax but I also want activity. St. Lucia looks gorgeous and I know it is a popular honeymoon destination but again the 90 degrees and I heard rumors of major mosquitoes that time of year, eww. Perhaps we go somewhere local for a few days and then have the honeymoon in winter when warm weather will be much more appreciated and the wallet will be a little more full. Is anyone else getting married in the summer and taking their honeymoon in the winter?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you, thinking about this already. Since we won't know what Nick is doing after pilot training until the end of November {one month before the wedding}. Since we won't any firm dates in time to schedule a trip, I'm trying not to put a lot of time and effort into thinking about the honeymoon. I'm secretly hoping we'll be able to go someplace warm, but who knows?!

Good luck with the decisions. I'm a total beach gal, so that's an easy one for me. If I were you, I'd definitely look into the weekend trip after the wedding and then take a winter trip to some place warm. That's a fab idea!

Kelly said...

you sound exactly like me 2 months ago. We were in the same predicament! We ultimately decided against the tropical honeymoon because of the high temps...and no to cali because of how expensive it was going to be. (we wanted to do the same drive you mentioned)

We decided on doing a short vegas getaway...and yes, I know it will be super hot there also, but there is so much to do there. we are going to see some shows and have some nice dinners...and maybe go to the spa! It won't be like an all inclusive where all there is to do is lay out.

Then doing an all inclusive on our 1 year ann at a time of the year that it will be more enjoyable...and not 90 degrees.

Kate said...

Take a look at Jamaica (Negril) and Costa Rica. Both are very affordable and great if you love activity.

Kate said...

Also, take a look at driving route 1 on the east coast. It is beautiful around Maine, temperatures are mild, you can always find cheaper places to stay (or B&B's). Another option would be doing a drive along old route 66, from what I hear there are still some pretty cool stops along the way and you could go ahead and rent the nice car (a convertible possibly?)and if you decide to take more time in some areas or make side trips to other areas for day trips.

Anonymous said...

new mexico around santa fe/taos is really beautiful - amazing drives through national parks and is also close to grand canyon. and there is an AMAZING spa that has great packages for couples in santa fe. i would also suggest that you consider paso robles, california - it was very lovely and romantic, too.

Anonymous said...

I say if you can do it then go ahead and do what you want-splurge. I am going to!I feel like I want our honeymoon to be special. A couple years after marriage then it is going to be time to start trying for chidren. That means no more crazy splurging on vacations for quite a while. So, I am going to take full advantage of the situation and have fun! I do not want to go into debt! Just do as much as I can and have a blast! What about registering for a honeymoon at somplace like bigday.com?