Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wedding Website?

I wanted to see how many of you have or plan to have a wedding website. I know this has become very popular and is a great way to give your guests more information than you could include on an invitation. I was even thinking of doing a separate blog just for wedding guests and that way it would be free. I am a total amateur with Blogger but I think there is an option where you have to be invited to view the blog? However that could get tricky because I would have to have all guests e-mail addresses in order to invite them. I am not sure how comfortable I would be having all the specific details of the wedding that could be viewed by just anyone.

Any thoughts?

What other good and not too expensive options are there for wedding websites?

10 comments:

E @ Oh! Apostrophe said...

I used weddingwindow and I really like it for the privacy settings. You can set some or all of your pages to require a password. You could either send a password to your guests (say in the invitation or save the date) or make a password that only people close to you would know (say your last name or fiance's last name).

Jenna said...

I am going to have a wedding website. I think it's a fantastic way to cut back on paper a little bit, and to provide your guests with fun extras and teasers to get them excited. The problem with doing an invite only blog is that some people don't understand the concept very well and so they don't follow through with the email giving them permissions, etc. Also rounding up all the email addresses could be a pain (although wouldn't it be great to build up both your physical address and email address book through the course of the wedding...

Anonymous said...

Jenna's right - you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't 'get' how a wedding blog works. :-) There are a lot of places online where you can set up a wedding website but you have to pay and if you don't renew your subscription it gets deleted. I set mine up on wordpress for free. It's not password protected but honestly, the chances of someone googling it are verrrry slim. Just don't use your last name anywhere and you'll be ok. A lot of people are coming to the site and it's a great way to stay in touch with your guests! Hope this helps!

Dana said...

Have you tried The Knot website. If is free and you can direct your guest to your website page. You can also choose to put as much or as little information about your wedding as you like.

Kate said...

I have a wedding website at my wedding.com. It is a free site and you can set up a password so only guests can access it. You could always email this to key members from both sides for them to distribute or include the info on save the dates. Hope this helps!

cats said...

i did mywedding.com too. i would keep it VERY simple. i'm surprised at how many people are confused by the concept.

Anonymous said...

I used the free The Knot website, and it has been really good so far. It doesn't give you a lot of options for customizing, but if you look up some basic html codes (or perhaps you already know a few), you can like to photo albums at other sites, add in links to hotel information, and even get the html code to insert a google map. You can put basic info on the main page that can be seen by everyone, but then you can use the "details" page for more info and password-protect it. We did this and sent the password in the invitations.

I dont know how many people have actually gone on there so far, but we've gotten a few emails from guests saying they really enjoyed the website because it made the wedding feel more personal and like they knew us a little better. (we invited a lot of people who are "distant" relatives and don't know us very well, so it helped a lot).

Definitely not a necessity but if you have the time, go for it!

Tara Vorhes said...

i used blogger to create a wedding website.

it is set up like a website though- i have it set for only 1 post per page and put the 'welcome' post last so that is the 'home page' and all the the 'pages' are links on the side... it was easy, free and I had quite a bit of flexibility.

i selected the permissions to remove it from the blog list etc, created a domain name for it to publish too, and removed our last names etc.

i guess i am not terribly concerned about the basic info that is on there being 'on the web' as my wedding is small enough that if someone 'crashed it' they would stick out like a sore thumb!

Tara Vorhes said...

and I would make it very easy for people...

Future Mrs. Smith said...

I went through wedorama.com and I got my site for half off since I am registered at theknot.com! They have templates that are really easy to follow and you can have a custom URL, have it password protected, etc. I think it is great!