Monday, February 18, 2008

Dress Shopping this Weekend - Eeek!

I am going home to Minneapolis this weekend to visit my parents, get a haircut (I love my guy there I can not find anyone better), and do my first round of dress shopping! I am a bit nervous, I hear the horror stories of sample sizes being too small and sales people being too pushy, I even saw an episode of Say Yes to the Dress the other day and one of the mothers punched the sales woman. yikes.

How was your first dress shopping experience?? Here are some of the dresses I am thinking about:





And my dream dress if i had thousands to spend

First two images are Jim Hjelm, second two Augusta Jones, last one Amsale.

9 comments:

tina said...

Don't read my blog entry from Saturday before you go! I haven't been enjoying it so far. As long as you're a size 10ish or less, you'll be good to go! Have fun! I can't wait to hear an update.

tina said...

P.S. Your selections are GORGEOUS! I'm hoping to find something similarly understated.

Also, I don't know what your price range is, but this Chicago designer has a dress like one of your photos: http://www.carolinedevillo.com/ Her prices start at $2K.

A Windy City Wedding said...

Oh no! I am definitely on the
10ish border and afraid all of these dresses look great on the teeny models but what will they look like on me! I love that dress you linked, I am trying to find something under 1K but I may splurge if I find something worth splurging for.

ley said...

What beautiful dresses!

I've had mostly good experiences. The only two bad ones: one store I went to thought they were just The Shit, and only carried size 6 dresses, and another wouldn't let anyone but the sales associates touch the dresses (except the one trying it on, obv). But I've had awesome experiences at several stores that have made it all worthwhile.

Actually, I'm not sure how close you are to Geneva, IL, but the Crystal Bride is a GREAT store! They may not be couture, but the ladies there when I went were SO sweet and very, very helpful!

I'm sure you won't have any problems- good luck!

Liz said...

Hi! I found dress shopping very anti climactic. You get it on and its like....ok......I guess I never had that "oh my god this is THE dress" moment. My dream dress was the Amsale you have pictured....I ended up going with a very casual white seersucker dress from Thread. Oh yeah and the size "10" is really a 6 or an 8!! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Would it be too forward to ask you to share your stylist??? I just moved to Minneapolis *from* Chicago and am desperately in need of a change ..... pretty please?

A Windy City Wedding said...

Brittany -- if you are willing to trek to the Minneapolis suburbs I HIGHLY recommend Craig, he works at Juut Salon in Wayzata (only 20 mins from downtown). It is worth the trip! And if you are looking for color too I recommend Tammy. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God!! You are so talented. I like your dresses & blog too.