Monday, February 25, 2008

The Great Favor Debate

Over the weekend I was thinking a lot about favors, maybe too much, I am sure too much, but we really want to do something different or something people will actually use. We are most likely having take home boxes for the dessert buffet/ice cream bar so a sweet treat favor is out so I came up with some alternatives and narrowed it down to two options. Please let me know what you think!

Option 1: My dad is an amazing wood turner and has been making wood bowls, vases, etc. for years. He also makes his own wine bottle stoppers. Unfortunately I do not have a picture but he turns and hand carves the wooden knob and then attaches the stopper. I like this idea because I am close to my dad and want to show off his talent and I think people would actually use this.

Option 2: I have always loved products from Knock Knock. They have these clever and hilarious (see more here) sticky pads (aka post it notes). They have several different choices and since some are probably not appropriate for grandparents or children I could pick and choose which guests get which pad. I like this idea because it reflects me and my fiance and our sense of humor and its something people probably have not seen before. But...how often do people use sticky notes and would they think, huh why a pad of post it notes?

10 comments:

tina said...

I love the wine stopper idea! So wonderful. Would making so many be tough on your dad?

I just bought the "keep it real" post-its this weekend. I'm using them as a hostess gift.

ami @ elizabeth anne designs said...

definitely definitely your dad's work. it's so personal and your guests would always remember it. make sure to attach a note to it with the story.

Darci said...

I really like the wine stopper! Can you send all of us one too? ;)

A Windy City Wedding said...

Thank you so much for the feedback!
My dad whips those things out like crazy and we have over a year so we should be good to go. I will definitely have to get him to make a few extra to send out to my helpful fellow wedding bloggers!

Anonymous said...

Enormous vote for the dad's work. It is so personal, and thinking just outside the couple, it will make him feel very useful and touched to be a more integral part of the wedding. seriously, does he sell them :)?

/// said...

You have such a LOVELY blog!!! :)

/// said...

You have such a LOVELY blog!!! :)

Kate said...

I love the post its but I agree that the homemade wine stoppers would be perfect!

Chitown Wife said...

Oh wow...I wish my father could do the winestoppers! How neat is that! Definitely do those! That would be so unique and fun.

Anonymous said...

another vote for dad's bottle stoppers. sounds like your next order of business after the wedding, is helping him get an etsy site up and running ;)