In early June of 2009 I hope to be somewhere like this:


We have thought about going on our honeymoon in the U.S., since it will be June and already warm it seems silly to go somewhere tropical. We may just have a second honeymoon the following winter when we will be in dire need of some warm weather and sunshine. Also, I am not a huge fan of flying so the idea of being on a plane for 8 hours or more doesn't appeal to me.
I have read that the drive from Los Angeles up to San Fran is just gorgeous. Maybe overnights in San Luis Obispo and Big Sur? I do hate driving however and want to make sure this would still be relaxing, rent a cute convertible though and it could be worth it. Has anyone ever done this? Where are the best places to stay and to eat?
Images from Post Ranch Inn, Big Sur CA.

7 comments:
ooo! You're talking my language. I grew up on the coast north of LA. There are SO many great places along the coast: santa barbara, SLO/Morro Bay/Cambria, Big Sur, Carmel, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, SF, Napa. I Think it'd be so romanitc, especially if you've never been to these places before. So cal should be gorgeous in June, SF can be rather chilly that month.
i haven't done this specific drive in CA but it sounds amazing... and you can just break up the day with little fun stops so it isn't straight driving.
we drove from SF to Sonoma up Hwy 1 along the coast and even that short section was beautiful! There are so many romantic places along the coast in CAthat it would be a great honeymoon.
Sounds like a fabulous idea. My husband and I stayed near home for our mini-moon, it was neat to explore our own 'backyard'. Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog so much I added you to my 'real bride' link list. Hope you approve!
My BF and I stayed in Paso Robles (southern wine country) then drove north on Highway 1 for vacation last October. We loved it and had a great time. It's very scenic, indeed, but if you don't enjoy being in the car, I'm not sure that you'll enjoy this for your honeymoon. There's a lot of driving, and it's an intense drive, too. That said, we had no real itinerary and just stopped as we pleased and were very happy. And I would totally recommend Paso Robles - very romantic and great dining.
That's a great idea! I've done that drive a couple of times and it's great. There are lots of places to stop and it's pretty relaxing.
hi! i grew up in monterey and you will love it here. big sur has a great restaurant called nepenthes that has outdoor seats and delicious french fries. in the area there is the ventana inn and highlands inn too. the other place that would be cute is carmel-by-the-sea, there are lots of bed and breakfasts. if you make it to santa cruz, there's a gorgeous rustic resort we have always wanted go to go called costanoa. i live in san francisco now, so i never stayed in a hotel. but for our wedding we are staying in the drisco hotel in pac heights. it's cute boutique joie de vivre hotel. then... if you can venture even more north of sf i would recommended a few more places :) healdburg in sonoma county has amazing wineries (my faves are preston, dry creek, and lambert bridge). then lastly in mendocino there is a quiet and cute B&B called inn at school house creek. one of our fav restaurants is called the ravens restaurant (stanford inn, mendocino). all vegetarian and dog friendly. if you need more ideas, let me know!! i am so excited that you are thinking about california
Thanks for all the tips, what a HUGE help!!
Post a Comment